Monday, February 8, 2010

Can You Hear Me Now?

I approached Braden's crib today to find a stranger there with a very large machine. Now let me tell you, there are many things you get used to in the NICU, but big machines next to your baby always make your heart stop.

Come to find out it was only a nurse there to do his hearing screen and he passed with flying colors. She said he completed the test faster than some full term babies :)

Now I know he is able to hear, but understand and comply is another step. If he could understand, he would hear me say, "please eat little man, please!". That is his biggest hurdle right now. He takes his feedings VERY VERY slowly and as a result does not always complete them. This is a must before we can even think about going home.

Going home. Seems so close, but still so far. It has been really tough these past few days as we try to stay patient through a situation completely out of our control. I find myself getting frustrated and then overwhelmed with guilt for feeling that way when this little man has come so far so fast. It is an emotional roller coaster but he is worth every moment.

Home might be a week or so away, it really depends on how he does these next few days. But all good things come to those who wait... and he is worth waiting for :)

7 comments:

  1. Julia, You are wise and mature beyond your years with these comments. I admire your patience and faith throughout this entire birth experience of Mr. Braden. Fantastic news about Braden's hearing. I'm sending you loving energetic support and hugs my incredible daughter!! Luv, Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Brian have come so far in such a short period of time. I am proud of both of yall. You are doing the best you can, just keep putting one foot in front of the other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you! He's come so far and done so much. Everything you're doing is working, you can do this! Braden can do this. You're doing it, he's doing it. Did you ever thing "going home" would actually get here? A week is so close. Call me if you need to!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Braden! Now be a good boy and belly up to the feeding station. Try not to show your folks how stubborn you can be. Wait to show them that we you are a teenager!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I don't think I could pass a hearing test. Good job, Braden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay. Eat, Braden, eat. We're getting closer to meeting our newest family member. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eat little man!!! Patience is a gift :-) Look on the bright side of him taking his time...enjoy a few nights of sleep :-) The Gret girls can't wait to meet him!!

    ReplyDelete